* * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * *
Reflections Program – Introduction
The Reflections Arts Recognition Program is a national arts recognition and achievement program for students. Since 1969, over 10 million students across the nation have taken part in this popular PTA program.
The excitement and enthusiasm that the program generates for students, parents, schools and communities is unmatched with the majority of California PTAs participating in the program at all PTA levels.
That’s why the Reflections Program provides an excellent opportunity for students of all ages to:
- Unleash their creative talents and be inspired
- Express themselves imaginatively in their artwork
- Experience the joy and fun of making art
- Tap into critical thinking skills to create art inspired by the
- Receive positive recognition for their original works of art
As an added bonus, in showcasing and celebrating student talent, the Reflections Program increases community awareness of the importance of the arts in education. Take a look at the 2013 California State PTA Reflections Award Winners.
How To Get Involved
Participation in the California Reflections Program is open to all students attending PTA schools that sponsor the program.
Art Areas (6)
To get involved, students submit an original piece, inspired by the annual theme, for their school’s Reflections Program in any of following arts areas: (Read a summary of all the categories)
To allow student artworks to be recognized and judged with the appropriate developmental age and skill levels in mind, the Reflections Program is organized by school grade, offering 4 divisions:
- Primary – Preschool-Grade 2
- Intermediate – Grades 3-5
- Middle/Junior – Grades 6-8
- Senior – Grades 9-12
Reflections Program Levels
Reflections is a nation-wide arts appreciation and recognition program for students sponsored by National PTA.
To take part, student Reflections’ entries at a school are first recognized, judged and celebrated by the local PTA unit.
Some selected unit entries are then chosen to represent the PTA at the council and district PTA levels.
Student artwork submitted to California State PTA by a district PTA will be considered for an Award of Excellence and an Award of Merit.
California State PTA Reflections Awards
Each year, 30 students are recognized with a California State PTA Award of Excellence for their artwork and receive:
- Opportunity to showcase and perform their artwork at the California State PTA convention
- Prizes including an Award of Excellence medal, certificate and $100 Savings Bond presented on stage at convention
- Expense paid trip for award-winning student and 1 parent/guardian to California State PTA convention
These Award of Excellence entries, in turn, represent California Sate PTA at the National level of the Reflections Program.
Student recipients of the National PTA Award of Excellence and Award of Merit are recognized at the annual National PTA convention and their artwork is featured as part of the program’s traveling, national exhibit.
For more information, contact your local council or district PTA.
Mary Lou Anderson Reflections Art Enhancement Grant Program
- For the online application and to learn more, click here.