The Irvine Unified Council PTA (IUCPTA) hosted a school board candidates forum on October 5th. There are six candidates running for three open seats. If you are interested in hearing more, the video of the forum is on IUCPTA’s website. The candidate’s statements are also on the website. The candidates responded to the following 10 questions. The first 3 were from IUCPTA and the rest are from the audience.
Candidates Forum Questions:
- In what ways have you participated in the LCAP?
- Did you support Measure E? Why or why not?
- What do you think are the educational gaps or weaknesses in the district and what are its strengths?
- Some old schools were closed and relocated to new development areas. This destroyed the village concept of the original master plan. Will you support IUSDreopening some of the old schools to restore the village concept so that people can walk and bike to school?
- What is your position on prop. 55? And why.
- If all of a sudden the district budget were to increase by 20%, what would you do?
- What would you do to improve math curriculum so that integrated math will work to assure all students are getting the math that they need?
- Does the separation of longstanding classmates and school-based communities due to high school redistricting concern you? If so, what is your plan to address the issue that is currently facing numerous middle school students and their families who are being separated from their school communities.
- What are your goals for being on the school board? Why did you decide to run?
- What would you do to improve safety at the schools?
It’s not too late! You can still register to vote through Oct. 23rd for the Nov. 8th election!